Plymouth ... an unexpected lesson in customer service
On Thursday, I had a meeting at Wrigleys, based in Plymouth. As I've been sea-starved for a few months, I figured it would be a great opportunity to have a few days off and balance out the inner ions with healthy morning wanderings by the seaside.
You likely know already that urban living creates too many postive ions in the air, which is what contributes to stress, toxicity and a feeling of 'not quite right' in your body. If you can't get to the seaside [which is abundant with negative ions or charges] to restore energetic balance, then invest in salt rock lamps. Science has proven that salt rocks, when warmed, release an abundance of negative ions, whilst cleansing the air of dust and impurities. I prefer to use the candle holders, although you can buy electric salt rock lamps. If you're attuned, you'll notice the difference in the air quality, as it starts to 'feel clear' and you might notice a feeling of becoming more alert.
Alas, I digress (Although I do believe salt rock lamps should be a standard health investment!)
My visit to Plymouth resulted in a couple of unexpected lessons in customer service from the tiny B&B I found on the internet. The Elizabethan Guest House was located right in the Barbican, the old cobbled harbourside from where the Mayflower set sail to colonise the Americas.
- Firstly, my Googling found their listing on a B&B website, which listed only 2 places in Plymouth [lesson: listings do work. list yourself everywhere you can online. make it easy for people to find you when searching]
- On their website, the testimonials from guests, the family picture and the welcoming words online, were what prompted me to call [lesson: stimulate an emotional response in your website's visitors with words and pictures, to give visitors a spirited sense of your business. give evidence / proof of what they can expect to experience, using stories / testimonials. the personal touch, just as seth goddin, permisison marketing guru states, works wonders.]
- When I called to book, their warm welcome, extremely helpful and friendly attitude reflected the website experience. Diane, of Ian and Diane, went out of her way to be helpful, providing directions and more [lesson: walk the talk on the call, if you're proclaiming to be about friendly service]
- When I turned up on the day, her niece welcomed me and was all clued up about my name, how long I was staying, that Diane was looking forward to meeting me later, etc. Truly interested in me having a great stay. [lesson: know your customer. make it personal. keep your service chain informed]
- The attention to detail in the room was delightful, and reflected a thoughtful consideration for the 'little things that make all the difference'. Matching soap, towels and shower curtains (pine green in my case, as each room was different); fragrant lavendar bag on the pillow; sweets on the bedside table; tea set for one even though I had a double room; impeccably clean; towels neatly rosetted; all items aligned in the room [lesson: take pride in the small stuff]
- Diane and Ian turned out to be lovely, down-to-earth, genuinely helpful hosts who simply wanted me to have a comfortable, relaxing stay. They pointed me in the direction of where to have a massage, to chat with Diane's old work colleague Sally at the Chamber of Commerce (hey, I might as well check out Plymouth as a potential place of business and property investment, as it's undergoing a massive regeneration programme), and plenty of helpful directions about sightseeing [lesson: great conversations help create raving fans. I mean, look, I've written a whole blog entry about the experience!]
- As I was leaving, Diane insisted that I call them in the future, to get their local insight into buying property in Plymouth. [lesson: make friends with your customers, as they'll help you grow by word of mouth. I can shortcut research time by having a local and trustworthy contact, from whom to ask opinions and local knowledge. networking at it's best!]
What a refreshing reminder of how simple it can be to deliver a high standard of customer service, regardless of what business you are in. I'd highly recommend a stay with Diane and Ian Bacon at The Elizabethan Guest House if you like cozy rooms and want to sample local hospitality with a very personal touch.
Deliver the basics beautifully and your business will naturally create raving fans :-)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home